Ugly and terrifying scenes from Glasgow’s George Square tonight - stay safe everyone.
Live stream HERE
Pics and content at sources may be triggering; please tread carefully!
Metropolis (1927) Dir. Fritz Lang
i love those posts that claim that if giant corporations paid their employees a fair wage they would be forced to raise their prices dramatically, as if they’re charitable outfits that never charge more than they absolutely have to, out of the goodness of their hearts
nah they charge as much as they can get away with, and pay as little as they can get away with, in order to maximize profit, welcome to capitalism
Anonymous said: Why aren't you 'ready for hillary'? x
There are a couple of reasons.
1. She sat on the Walmart board for 6 years and then didn’t do anything when they waged war against the workers and their unions (X)
2. She voted in favor of the Iraq war (X)
3. She is into free trade agreements (even if she is formally against some of the policies, she still maintains that she supports the principles of them) (X)
4. She supports a border fence in Israel and wholeheartedly believes Israel deserves “safety and security” (X)
5. She supports performance based pay for public schools (X)
6. She also believes charter schools help failing public schools (X)
7. She wants to maintain US hegemony, increase the defense budget and she supports the death penalty (X)
8. She said, “I am adamantly against illegal immigrants” and supported the border wall (X)
9. She supported DOMA and thinks civil unions are good enough for “equal rights” (X) I’m not interested in marriage for us queers, but she is on the other side of the issue entirely saying that she is against marriage for same sex partners but is pro civil unions. The reason civil unions were created was to create a new way to oppress and otherize systematically.
10. She wants more police, vigil antes and harsher prison sentences (X)
I’m sure there are more. But honestly she’s very moderate and I see her being really exciting for the young dems because she’s a woman but ultimately her policies will reflect those of the old white dudes (and obama bc his policies aren’t anything to praise either) that came before her.
Ferguson protesters gather for highway shutdown.
"sir what you did is literally 100 percent illegal"
"ok but get this: im a rich white person"
"oh sorry about that sir"
(Source: (A)narchism in (A)ction (page))
Amazon tribe fights back against illegal loggers, environmental destruction
September 8, 2014
Brazil is the most dangerous place in the world to be an environmentalist. It accounts for about half of all recorded killings of environmental advocates.
And those numbers are going up, globally. As I reported recently for Foreign Policy:
Between 2002 and 2013, at least 908 people were killed because of their environmental advocacy, according to “Deadly Environment,” a new report from the investigative nonprofit Global Witness. That’s an average of at least one environmentalist murdered every week, and in the last four years, the rate of the murders has doubled. In 2012, the deadliest year on record, 147 deaths were recorded, three times more than a decade earlier. “There were almost certainly more cases,” the report says, “but the nature of the problem makes information hard to find, and even harder to verify.”
That incredibly dangerous environment makes what photographer Lunae Parracho documented even more incredible.
Ka’apor warriors ventured into the Alto Turiacu territory in the Amazon basin to track down illegal loggers, tie them up, and sabotage their equipment.
They stole their chainsaws and cut the logs so the loggers couldn’t profit from them.
They released the loggers, but only after taking their shoes and clothes, and setting their trucks on fire.